There are different sources for an overview on the theory and applications of characteristic modes, including the following:
- A Wikipedia page on Characteristic Mode Analysis.
- A recent thesis on systematic antenna design using characteristic modes
- Overview papers on this topic found in the IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine
A number of presenters from our Special Interest Group consented to sharing their presentation slides from EuCAP 2019 (Krakow, Poland) here:
- LTE Antenna Design for Tablet Computers Using Characteristic Mode Analysis – Peter William Futter (Altair Development S.A. (Pty) Ltd, South Africa); Ulrich Jakobus (Altair Engineering GmbH, Germany)
- A Novel Method to Interpret the Mutual Coupling Based on Characteristic Mode Theory – Wei Su (Queen Mary, University of London, United Kingdom (Great Britain)); Qianyun Zhang and Yue Gao (Queen Mary University of London, United Kingdom (Great Britain))
- Characteristic Mode Analysis of Planar Dipole Antennas – Hanieh Aliakbari and Buon Kiong Lau (Lund University, Sweden)
- Applying the Theory of Characteristic Modes to the Analysis of Finite Antenna Array Elements and Ground Planes of Finite Sizes – Danie Ludick (Stellenbosch University, South Africa)
- Recent Progress in Metasurface Antennas Using Characteristic Mode Analysis – Feng Han Lin, Teng Li and Zhi Ning Chen (National University of Singapore, Singapore)
- On the Size Reduction of Slotted Finite Ground Plane of a Circularly Polarized Microstrip Patch Antenna Using Substructure Characteristic Modes – Arka Bhattacharyya and Bhaskar Gupta (Jadavpur University, India)
- Coupling Analysis of Metamaterial Inspired Structures Using the Theory of Characteristic Modes – Ozuem Chukwuka (University of Lille & IFSTTAR Institute, France); Divitha Seetharamdoo (IFSTTAR, LEOST & Univ Lille Nord de France, France); M. Hassanein Rabah (IFSTTAR & University Lille 1 Nord de France, France)
For those who may be interested, Dr. Miloslav Čapek has provided links to his latest presentations on CMs:
1/ Capek, M., Masek, M., Hazdra, P.: Some Numerical Aspects of Characteristic Mode Decomposition, EuCAP 2016, Davos, Switzerland, 2016.
2/ Capek, M., Jelinek, L.: Optimal Composition of Characteristic Modes For Minimal Quality Factor Q, IEEE APS/USNC-URSI, Fajardo, Puerto Rico, 2016.
3/ Capek, M., Jelinek, L., Kadlec, P., Štrambach, M.: Excitation of Optimal and Suboptimal Currents, EuCAP 2017, Paris, France, 2017.
4/ Capek, M., Losenicky, V., Jelinek, L., Gustafsson, M., Tayli, D.: Numerical Benchmark Based on Characteristic Modes of a Spherical Shell, IEEE APS/USNC-URSI, San Diego, USA, 2017.
5/ Capek, M.: Current Optimization for Electrically Small Antennas, KTH, Stockholm, Sweden, Seminar lecture, 2017.
6/ Capek, M.: Implementation of Source Concept in Matlab, KTH, Stockholm, Sweden, Seminar lecture, 2017.
7/ Capek, M., et al.: Accurate Evaluation of Characteristic Modes, EuCAP 2018, London, UK, 2018.
8/ Capek, M., et al.: Characteristic Modes, Department Seminar, Czech Technical University in Prague, Prague, Czech Republic, 2018.
This page will be updated with more materials.