There are different sources for an overview on the theory and applications of characteristic modes, including the following:
- A Wikipedia page on Characteristic Mode Analysis.
- Overview papers on this topic found in the IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine
CM SIG has created its own YouTube channel, and as a new initiative, live webinars (organized by Marta Cabedo Fabres and Divitha Seetharamdoo) are held. The presentations recorded in these webinars are now available in our channel.
Webinar on 23 June 2020 – https://youtu.be/TZd3paLoD_k
|Title of Presentation||Speaker||Affiliation|
|Characteristic Mode Analysis for the Design of Nanosatellite Reconfigurable Antennas||Simone Genovesi||University of Pisa, Italy|
|Antenna Positioning for Bandwidth Optimization Using Characteristic Mode Analysis||Peter W. Futter||Altair Development S.A. (Pty) Ltd, South Africa|
|Circularly Polarized Electrically Small Antenna Using Chiral Metamaterials and Based on Characteristic Modes Theory||Nadia Kari||Universite Gustave Eiffel, Lille Campus, France|
Webinar on 25 June 2020 – https://youtu.be/GyvPdauCses
|Title of Presentation||Speaker||Affiliation|
|Systematic Design Method for Asymmetric Multiport Antennas Based on Characteristic Modes||Nikolai Peitzmeier||Leibniz University Hannover, Germany|
|Patten Synthesis for Single Antennas Using Theory of Characteristic Modes||Hui Li||Dalian University of Technology (DLUT), China|
PhD theses (some MSc theses) on various aspects of characteristic modes are a good source of information, often with very good overview of the topic (if any link is broken, just google the title to find the new site):
- Duixian Liu, Some Relationships Between Characteristic Modes and Inagaki Modes for Use in Scattering and Radiation Problems” (MSc Thesis), Ohio State University, 1986
- Marta Cabedo-Fabrés, Systematic Design of Antennas Using the Theory of Characteristic Modes, Universitat Politècnica de València, 2007
- Khaled Obeidat, Design Methodology for Wideband Electrically Small Antennas (ESA) Based on the Theory of Characteristic Modes (CM), Ohio State University, 2010
- Raines, Systematic Design of Multiple Antenna Systems Using Characteristic Modes, Ohio State University, 2011
, Excitation and Analysis of Characteristic Modes on Complex Antenna Structures, Ohio State University, 2011
- Jonathan Ethier, Antenna Shape Synthesis Using Characteristic Mode Concept, University of Ottawa, 2012
- Aleksander Krewski, Systematic Design of Multiport Antennas for MIMO-enabled Mobile Wireless Terminals, Universität at Duisburg-Essen, 2014
- Krishna Kumar Kishor, Multi-functional Chassis-based Antennas Using Characteristic Mode Theory, University of Toronto, 2015
- Jeffrey Chalas, Design and Location Optimization of Electrically Small Antennas Using Modal Techniques, Ohio State University, 2015
- Nicole L. Bohannon, Synthesis Process Using Characteristic Modes for Multiple In Situ Antennas for System Radiation Requirements, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2016
- Zachary Miers, Systematic Antenna Design Using the Theory of Characteristic Modes, Lund University, 2016
- Ezdeen Elghannai, Novel Method to Control Antenna Currents Based on Theory of Characteristic Modes, Ohio State University, Ohio State University, 2016
- Tomás Bernabeu Jiménez, Contribution to the Physical Interpretation of Characteristic Mode Resonances – Application to Dielectric Resonator Antennas, Universitat Politècnica de València, 2017
- Binbin Yang, A Modal Approach to Compact MIMO Antenna Design, North Carolina State University, 2017
- Fenghan Lin, Study of Microwave Metasurface Antennas using Characteristic Mode Analysis, National University of Singapore, 2018
- Kalyan Durbhakula, Characteristic Mode Analysis of Crumpled Graphene Flakes and A New Green’s Functions Evaluation Method for Layered Media, 2019
A number of presenters from our Special Interest Group consented to sharing their presentation slides from EuCAP 2019 (Krakow, Poland) here:
- LTE Antenna Design for Tablet Computers Using Characteristic Mode Analysis – Peter William Futter (Altair Development S.A. (Pty) Ltd, South Africa); Ulrich Jakobus (Altair Engineering GmbH, Germany)
- A Novel Method to Interpret the Mutual Coupling Based on Characteristic Mode Theory – Wei Su (Queen Mary, University of London, United Kingdom (Great Britain)); Qianyun Zhang and Yue Gao (Queen Mary University of London, United Kingdom (Great Britain))
- Characteristic Mode Analysis of Planar Dipole Antennas – Hanieh Aliakbari and Buon Kiong Lau (Lund University, Sweden)
- Applying the Theory of Characteristic Modes to the Analysis of Finite Antenna Array Elements and Ground Planes of Finite Sizes – Danie Ludick (Stellenbosch University, South Africa)
- Recent Progress in Metasurface Antennas Using Characteristic Mode Analysis – Feng Han Lin, Teng Li and Zhi Ning Chen (National University of Singapore, Singapore)
- On the Size Reduction of Slotted Finite Ground Plane of a Circularly Polarized Microstrip Patch Antenna Using Substructure Characteristic Modes – Arka Bhattacharyya and Bhaskar Gupta (Jadavpur University, India)
- Coupling Analysis of Metamaterial Inspired Structures Using the Theory of Characteristic Modes – Ozuem Chukwuka (University of Lille & IFSTTAR Institute, France); Divitha Seetharamdoo (IFSTTAR, LEOST & Univ Lille Nord de France, France); M. Hassanein Rabah (IFSTTAR & University Lille 1 Nord de France, France)
- Modal Crossing Treatment Using Group Theory – Michal Masek, Miloslav Capek, Lukas Jelinek, and Kurt Schab (Czech Technical University in Prague, Czech Republic, and Santa Clara University, USA)
For those who may be interested, Dr. Miloslav Čapek has provided links to his latest presentations on CMs:
1/ Capek, M., Masek, M., Hazdra, P.: Some Numerical Aspects of Characteristic Mode Decomposition, EuCAP 2016, Davos, Switzerland, 2016.
2/ Capek, M., Jelinek, L.: Optimal Composition of Characteristic Modes For Minimal Quality Factor Q, IEEE APS/USNC-URSI, Fajardo, Puerto Rico, 2016.
3/ Capek, M., Jelinek, L., Kadlec, P., Štrambach, M.: Excitation of Optimal and Suboptimal Currents, EuCAP 2017, Paris, France, 2017.
4/ Capek, M., Losenicky, V., Jelinek, L., Gustafsson, M., Tayli, D.: Numerical Benchmark Based on Characteristic Modes of a Spherical Shell, IEEE APS/USNC-URSI, San Diego, USA, 2017.
5/ Capek, M.: Current Optimization for Electrically Small Antennas, KTH, Stockholm, Sweden, Seminar lecture, 2017.
6/ Capek, M.: Implementation of Source Concept in Matlab, KTH, Stockholm, Sweden, Seminar lecture, 2017.
7/ Capek, M., et al.: Accurate Evaluation of Characteristic Modes, EuCAP 2018, London, UK, 2018.
8/ Capek, M., et al.: Characteristic Modes, Department Seminar, Czech Technical University in Prague, Prague, Czech Republic, 2018.
This page will be constantly updated with more materials.