Our ongoing activities and initiatives are:
1. Benchmarking activities to verify characteristic mode software tools (both inhouse and commercial), led by Yikai Chen of UESTC, China. Those interested can contact Yikai Chen for more details. Participants of a discussion on benchmarking activity at EuCAP 2017 are shown in the group photo below.
2. Special Sessions on “Characteristic Modes 2.0 – From Fundamental Limits to 5G Antenna Systems” at the 2018 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and CNC/USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting (IEEE APS/URSI2018) in Boston, MA, USA, 8-13 July 2018 (Co-conveners: Jacob Adams and Buon Kiong Lau).
3. Convened Sessions on “Advances in Antenna Design and Analysis Using Characteristic Modes (Co-conveners: Kurt Schab and Eva Antonino Daviu) and “Advances in Theory and Computation of Characteristic Modes” (Co-conveners: Hiroyuki Arai and Miloslav Capek) at the 2018 European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP2018) in London, UK, 9-13 April, 2018.
Our past activities and initiatives include the following:
- Special Sessions on “Theory of Characteristic Mode and Its Applications” at the 2017 Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation (APCAP2017) in Xi’an, China, October 16-19, 2017 (Co-chairs: Hui Li and Yikai Chen).
- Special Session on “Recent Advances on Characteristic Mode Analysis and Applications” at the 2017 International Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society (ACES) Symposium in Florence, Italy, 26-30 March 2017 (Co-chairs: Agostino Monorchi and Simone Genovesi).
- Convened Sessions on “Characteristic Mode Analysis for Platform-Mounted Antenna Design” (Co-conveners: Yikai Chen and Simone Genovesi) and “New Trends in Characteristic Modes Research” (Co-conveners: Divitha Seetharamdoo and Qi Wu) at the 2017 European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP2017) in Paris, France, 19-24 March, 2017.
- Mini-Workshop on Characteristic Modes, Lund, Sweden on 29 Nov 2016, in conjunction with the PhD thesis defense of Zachary Miers at Lund University. Workshop speakers include Jennifer Bernhard, Dirk Manteufffel, Eva-Antonino Daviu, Miloslav Capek.
- Special Session on “Characteristic Mode Analysis for Small Antenna Design” at the International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP2016) in Okinawa, Japan, 24-28 October, 2016 (Co-conveners: Hiroyuki Arai and Naobumi Michishita).
- Special Session on “Antenna Design/Analysis Based on Stored Energy and Characteristic Modes” at the 2016 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and CNC/USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting (IEEE APS/URSI2016) in Puerto Rico, USA, 26 June-2 July 2016 (Co-conveners: Mats Gustafsson, Buon Kiong Lau, and Guy Vandenbosch).
- Special Issue on “Theory and Applications of Characteristic Modes” published in the July 2016 issue of the IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation.
- Convened Session on “Theory and Application of Characteristic Modes” at the 2016 European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP2016) in Davos, Switzerland, 10-15 April 2016 (Co-conveners: Dirk Manteuffel and Yikai Chen).
- Focused and Special Sessions on “Modal Analysis of Electromagnetic Structures” at the 2015 European Microwave Conference (EuMC2015) (Co-conveners: George Kyriacou and Theodoros Kaifas).
- Invited Talk on “Characteristic Mode Based Antenna Design – a Straight Forward Approach to Small Form Factor Antenna Integration” given by Dirk Manteuffel (University of Kiel, Germany) at the 2015 European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP2015) in Lisbon, Portugal, 12-17 April 2015.
- Special Session on “Theory of Characteristic Modes for Antenna System Design in Wireless Communications” in 2014 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and CNC/USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting (IEEE APS/URSI2014), Memphis, TN, USA, 6-12 July 2014 (Co-conveners: Buon Kiong Lau and Joseph Modro).
Some archived News:
- 2016-04-15 – The Special Interest Group would like to congratulate our member Ms. Montaha Bouezzeddine (RheinMain University of Applied Sciences) for winning the ESoA-EuCAP 2016 Best Student Paper Award at the 2016 European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP’2016) in Davos, 10-15 April 2016 (details here). The winning entry was co-authored with her advisor Prof. Werner L. Schroeder and it is entitled “Systematic Approach for Electrically Tuning N-port Antenna System Based on Characteristic Modes”. Fantastic work!